Vanessa kept mentioning to me that we needed some other way to organize our many “hair things.” She had seen other types of organizers online and wanted me to make her something that would be both visually appealing and, at the same time, very practical. Everything I had seen thus far, I knew, would not work for the number of pieces we had so I had to think of something else.
As with many things I have done in the past, when faced with a particular problem or task, I just go to the store. This is where my thinking happens and where my thought process shines (wink). I can’t just sit down and draw out a plan. I have to see what there is available and, with that, let the pieces fall into place in my brain.
I had a general idea of what I wanted to do as far as size and colors go but wasn’t really sure how I was going to actually tie it together. It all started with this frame I found at our local craft store. It was a good size and a good price. (very important! ha!) I decided to attach tiny little clothes pins and small wooden pegs to the frame around its perimeter in strategic locations so as not to cover up too much of the picture that was to be in the frame. All of the wood pieces were stained dark mahogany to match our home’s doors and trim and then sprayed with satin polyurethane for a nice sheen.
Most of the hair accessory holders that I had seen thus far had used some sort of ribbon or ribbons hanging down that were used to attach the various bows and such. I knew I wanted to use this idea as well and set out to find the perfect ribbon. Vanessa has always really liked hot pink and orange together so that was going to be my “theme” colors. I found some ribbon that worked very well and stapled that to the back of the picture frame across the bottom and let the ribbons hang down about 15 inches.
I really wanted to personalize this project for my girls so I found wooden letters and purchased one that stands for the first letter in each of their names. These letters I painted hot pink and glued to the frame as shown.
Lastly, I found a photograph that features all three of my girls, all with different hair accessories and placed that in the frame. The photo was made smaller than the frame so I could place an orange background behind the photo to continue with the hot pink and orange theme of the project. This offset the pink of the letters on the frame.
So there you have it; a completed hair-thingy / accessory holder! Once completed, we were happy to see it would hold nearly all of our accessories and make them much more accessible and visible when trying to match them to outfits.
Feel free to borrow the idea and make your own organized chaos. It’s a fun project that the whole family can get in on and relatively inexpensive too!